My role is to support you as you prepare for child birth, and to be a calming, encouraging presence on that day. I work to support your partner as well, and to help you both prepare according to your values and goals.
As a birth doula, I accompany women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on my professional training, knowledge and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort, and as needed, communication with the staff to make sure that you have the information you need to make informed decisions as they arise in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, soothing touch, aromatherapy, massage, essential oils, and other techniques for comfort and labor progression. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or hospital.
Post-Partum/Post-Care Service: $35 per hour with a minimum of three hour sessions. $50 per hour for non birth clients.
In Person - Lactation Consulting
As a trained and certified lactation educator through the prestigious UCSD Lactation Education and Counselor program, I will meet with you in the comfort of your own home to walk you through the breastfeeding process, make positioning and latch suggestions, talk through basic concerns and challenges. This time alone is fruitful in giving you the encouragement and skills necessary to thrive in your breastfeeding journey. The fee for in-person support is $150/visit and typically lasts ninety minutes.
For your convenience, I collect all breastfeeding support fees through Venmo, check or cash at the time of service. Also, these services are not reimbursable by insurance, but I can provide you a receipt by request
Birth Doula Experience: 5 years and 135 births attended (and counting)
- DONA International - Certified Birth Doula
- Hypnobabies - Certified Hypno-Doula
- Certified Lactation Education Counselor (CLEC) certificate through UCSD
Clients per Month: 2 to 5
Attends hospital births? All Hospitals
I have supported mom's at Kaiser Irvine, Kaiser San Diego, Kaiser Anaheim, Kaiser Downey, Saddleback Memorial Laguna Hills, Mission Hospital, Hoag Hospital Newport Beach, Orange County Global Medical Center Santa Ana, St. Josephs Anaheim, St. Jude Fullerton, Long Beach Memorial, Balboa Navy Medical Center, Palomar Medical Center Poway, UCSD Jacobs Medical Birth Center,UCSD Jacobs Medical Labor and Delivery, Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital, Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women and Children and Pomerado Hospital Birth Center, Scripps Encinitas, Scripps La Jolla, Orange Coast Memorial.
Attends birth center births? All Birth Centers
I am familiar with the service, support and well woman care at a variety of Birth Centers. (South Coast Midwifery, Beach Cities Midwifery, Babies and Bloom, and more).
Attends home births? Any Home Birth
I have supported many mothers in the choice of a home birth with CNM's and/or CPM's as their attending care providers.
Childbirth Education Certifications
- CAPPA trained postpartum doula, Fee $35 per hour
- Breastfeeding support and personal experience
Other Relevant Certifications
- American Heart Association BLS (Basic Life Support) Certification
- CPR Certified - Red Cross
- Neoantal-Adult CPR and BLS Certified
As your birth Doula, I shall provide the following services:
- Initial Consultation via Face time or at agreed upon location to get to know one another is free of charge.
- One prenatal visit with mother and partner- We will discuss your heart and hopes for your birth and any goals that you two have set and how I can best support you.
- If the time is available, and at your request, a second prenatal visit in the form of a brisk walk and talk, closer to your birthing day!
- Continued communication during pregnancy via text, phone or email to answer questions, and provide resources or professional referrals. Response time within 24 hours unless I am attending another birth.
- Assistance creating prenatal, labor and birth goals, if desired
- 24/7 On Call availability starting 2 weeks before your estimated due date (EDD - 38 weeks gestation) until and after delivery
- Birth support in your home, birth center or hospital
- 1-3 hrs support immediately after birth
- Immediate breastfeeding support if desired
- In home or hospital postpartum visit, at your request
- Continued breastfeeding phone & email support up to 6 weeks postpartum
- Access to professional referrals, as requested
- Access to back-up doulas in case of emergency so that you are guaranteed quality support for labor
Birth Doula Fee $1200 - $1500 *(higher fee for out of area clients)
Fee Details: Pay half of birth fee at signing of contract and full payment due at or before 36 weeks. Payment plans available at request.
Serving the Following Areas
San Clemente, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano,Orange County, Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport Beach,Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Irvine, Newport Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, Carlsbad, Vista, Oceanside, Camp Pendleton, Cardiff, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Leucadia, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar
Specialized training or previous experience
- Cesarean birth
- Clients on bed rest
- Families conceiving with ART and IVF
- High risk
- Home Birth
- Induced and high medical technology labor & birth
- Over 40
- Postpartum mood disorders
- Single parents
- Spanish Speaking
- Survivors of Previous Life Trauma
- Survivors of childhood sexual abuse
Special Services Offered
- Military famiies
- Miscarriage Support (Before, During or After)
- Parenting consulting
- Satellite Doula (For remote and rural clients)
- Sibling support (for your older children at the birth)
As a Postpartum Doula, I work with families in the postpartum period; offering support, information, instruction, comfort, and referrals as needed. Postpartum Doulas support the mother’s recovery, give instruction on infant care and feeding, and assist with household organization.
Postpartum Doulas are skilled support persons who act as consultants and resources, not clinicians. I therefore work with the healthcare system by encouraging and promoting excellent communication between the new family and the health care team, encouraging informed decision making and self-advocacy, supporting the choices of the new family, providing non-clinical care, and offering appropriate referrals when their observance or counseling uncovers situations that require healthcare attention or support. I hope to Provide non-biased emotional, physical, and informational support during the postpartum period
I will work with families in the postpartum period; offering support, information, instruction, comfort, and referrals as needed. Postpartum Doulas support the mother's recovery, give instruction on infant care and feeding, and assist with household organization. Postpartum Doulas can be found working in the community in private practice, in cooperatives, as part of groups or agencies, as well as serving in various community programs.
Postpartum Doulas are skilled support persons who act as consultants and resources, not clinicians. They therefore work with the healthcare system by encouraging and promoting excellent communication between the new family and the health care team, encouraging informed decision making and self-advocacy, supporting the choices of the new family, providing non-clinical care, and offering appropriate referrals when their observance or counseling uncovers situations that require healthcare attention or support.
I DO Not
Diagnose medical conditions
Interpret medical diagnoses or clinical results
Prescribe or administer treatment of medical conditions
Perform clinical procedures, including: taking infant's temperature or administrating medications to infant or mother
Take over complete care of the infant, including: buckling infant into car or car seat and cutting infant’s nails
Transport any family members
Stay alone with babies or other children
Sleep train babies
Act as a housekeeper or nanny
Encourage the family to seek care that reflects their values and needs
Model and teach effective communication
Encourage informed decision making
Support the physical and emotional healing of the mother
Provide information on care options and resources for the mother and newborn
Support and assists with infant feeding
Educate the family on newborn care and characteristics
Provide support to the new mother’s partner and/or family
Assist with household organization
Refer to healthcare professionals when support requires clinical assessment, a need for prescription, or medical diagnosis
BEGINNING IN SEPTEMBER!!!
For prospective San Diego based clients with expected due dates in September 2018 and beyond, I will be merging into a Partnership Doula Relationship and the Services provided may be found at JOYFUL ROOTS WEBSITE